January 3rd, 2013 - München
January 28th - A week in Vancouver: Walking towards Granville Isalnd, I realized due to my escape to Europe for a year, I vanished from people's lives who I believed would always care for me. I slipped from their consciousness, faded away and forgotten. And when I was in Kelowna, I did a lame job of igniting the flame of old friendships. An uneasy contrasting of emotions. The consequence of living abroad for a year. Something that just is. Relationships intertwine at their own pace, and in the right place.
For a curious spirit like mine, leaving for Europe in 2012 meant I was headed for a land ripe with experience, culture, history, opportunity, knowledge, challenge, and liberation from my past and an exploration into the present.
Heading back to Canada in 2013, meant I was leaving all that adventure behind. Back to normalcy. Living abroad, I feared that I wouldn't be able to relate to my Canadian friends. I believed that since I was living the chic life in good ol' Paris, the opportunities I experienced were far beyond anything they had explored. I compared my life with theirs, and felt that I was on a higher plane.
Judgements, anger, and frustration set aside. Open to both sides. Clear mind. Everyone lives by their own rhythm. And by interacting face-to-face with old friends of mine, I realized they had grown too.
North American culture is a society that manufactures an abundance of diverse opportunities available for all ages. The adventure, the authentic experience is out there, waiting for action. And as a Native English speaker, we have the advantage, we are the ideal choice always. If that wasn't enough, in no other time in our history of human civilization have we had such a wonderful abundance of choice to prosper from. Now's the time to give yourself the gift of experience. Show some grace for the privilege, for the luxury you have. It has never been easier to live your dream.
I wish this for all who are lucky enough to live in a society with such bounty of choice.
For a curious spirit like mine, leaving for Europe in 2012 meant I was headed for a land ripe with experience, culture, history, opportunity, knowledge, challenge, and liberation from my past and an exploration into the present.
Heading back to Canada in 2013, meant I was leaving all that adventure behind. Back to normalcy. Living abroad, I feared that I wouldn't be able to relate to my Canadian friends. I believed that since I was living the chic life in good ol' Paris, the opportunities I experienced were far beyond anything they had explored. I compared my life with theirs, and felt that I was on a higher plane.
Judgements, anger, and frustration set aside. Open to both sides. Clear mind. Everyone lives by their own rhythm. And by interacting face-to-face with old friends of mine, I realized they had grown too.
North American culture is a society that manufactures an abundance of diverse opportunities available for all ages. The adventure, the authentic experience is out there, waiting for action. And as a Native English speaker, we have the advantage, we are the ideal choice always. If that wasn't enough, in no other time in our history of human civilization have we had such a wonderful abundance of choice to prosper from. Now's the time to give yourself the gift of experience. Show some grace for the privilege, for the luxury you have. It has never been easier to live your dream.
I wish this for all who are lucky enough to live in a society with such bounty of choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment