Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Why Don't You Like Me.



March 21st, 2013

            I don't have a punching-bag but I do have a blog. Perhaps due to the fact that my work hours have increased, and my free time has dissipated my social life, my emotions are hostile and my mentality is cynical. Whatever. The point of this particular post is to release some of my aggresstion towards 'selfies.' I am slightly embarrassed that I'm spending time with this subject, so I'll keep it short and sweet. My definition of a 'selfie' is not linked to portraiture. It's an individual (usually female) taking a photograph of themself with the intention to broadcast through a social network with the purpose of exposing how beautiful they are. Yes, when I was a teenager I took my fair share of 'selfies' and looking back on it I ask myself 'why?' My answer is simple: to gain approval of myself and of my social circle, to comfort my self-esteem and boost my ego. It was an illusive source of confidence, no more then a sad source of confidence. When I see someone pollute my Facebook News Feed with a 'selfie' and it has an immense number of likes, especially from guys I ask "why?" What makes it worth that many likes? It's not creative, it's not clever, it's not intellectual, it's not sophisticated, it's not broadening the mind, it's not evolving perceptions, it's not playing with space, it's not interesting. It's only offering the viewer an aesthetic pleasure, fitting neatly into the box, following the rules and regulations of a shallow society. If you're going to take a photograph of yourself do something interesting. Do something neat, something creative, something original. Don't expose your face and physique as if they're your most worthy attributes to society. Don't let you're fine features be the reason for a guy to admire you. So what if fewer guys and gals accept you're idea, at the very least it shows you have a brain, at the very least it shows you have character. 



No comments:

Post a Comment