Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Amsterdam, here I am


June 15 - Amsterdam

Amsterdam! A fun, friendly, and free city, where bikes outnumber cars, flowers and boats decorate the canals, and mayonnaise is the preferred condiment with fries. A culture of it's own, what a breathe of fresh air! No, I didn't take a trip on the green giant, in fact the only time I smelt the spell of marjuana was in the tourist areas. Instead, I enjoyed a canal cruise, the Van Gogh Museum, a stroll around the city, the Anne Frank House, watching the football match: Netherlands vs. Germany in a pub, and an Italian BBQ (in Amsterdam of all places haha)! It was a pleasant experience, filled with a diverse array of social interactions. The places a bus ticket can take you! I'm so thankful I have a curious and adventurous spirit :)
My second day in Amsterdam consisted of a breakfast with my friend Milene, and her lezbian room-mate who had her girlfriend over. This is my first encounter with a lesbian, not to mention a lesbian couple. Love is love, so homosexuality is not a big deal to me... at least when I think. But it was different to experience it in real life, and I admit I did feel a little uncomfortable, but love is love. And what a wonderful and beautiful time we are living in when two people of any gender, creed, and colour can express themselves and share such a powerful and uplifting emotion. 
Later, on my second day in Amsterdam, Milene and I went to her friends house to enjoy an Italian BBQ. And what a diverse array of nationalities were gathered in this Amsterdam backyard; Canada, Holland, Italy, Turkey, Nigeria and Australia. All from different countries and continents of the world, sharing, showing and showering one another with only love and respect. Peace is possible. 


VISUALS


Centraal Station 






No comments:

Post a Comment