Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fall Fall Fall Fall



Oct. 05, 2011
Fall Portraits

As my father and I were waltzing down the whimsical streets of downtown Kelowna, he noticed that an old restaurant had been replaced with the new. He remarked in a shockingly confused tone "What? Why does everything have to change?" That's when it dawned on me. Humans are a vital force in nature, nature is constantly changing and transforming so it only seems proper for humans to enjoy the flux and flow of natures renewal, after all we do live, breathe, and grow on her soil. We try so hard to sustain the illusion of consistency but in our efforts we are unceasingly taunted by change that is beyond our control. We never stay the same size, or stay the same age. Nothing is permanent, and nothing goes according to our plan. But when we trust the earths natural vibrations of variation we will be surprised and excited by the ebb and ease, flux and flow of life, no longer disturbed by the change but delighted by it! 

Yet again I was walking, except I wasn't downtown this time, I was outside of the hospital. It was a narrow sidewalk and these two women were pushing trolleys. As I passed I flashed them a smile of acknowledgement as many do to passersby. I was greeted not to a shining smiling face, but to dull hair bouncing up and down with the movement of each step. Both women were sulking, staring at the pavement as they moved one step closer to their destination. It occurred to me that although we live in the same 'community' we eagerly attempt to separate ourselves from even acknowledging each-other. Sad, sad, sad.

On a happier note, Ladies & Gentlemen it's PUMPKIN PIE season!!

A couple days ago I was practicing my ability to capture portraits of my old school chum Nikita. I prefer snapping photos of objects or landscapes, but what I think defines a good photographer from a GREAT photographer is their ability to do it all and do it all fabulously! As I am practicing portraiture, I'm reflecting and defining my own technique and style of how I want to capture the image. Its important for the subject to be comfortable, that's when their eyes reflect their inner beauty and truth. Secondly I'm starting to veer more toward candid portraiture because it's more true and honest of the character. It's a genuine and more elegant reflection of the subject because your capturing their rhythm. Versus a staged illusion of their ego. As the photographer its difficult, I think people genuinely feel uncomfortable in a cameras presence, they don't want to be captured in an unappealing way.



VISUALS OF THE DAY



(I DO own the rights to these photos :))



No words to describe Suzanne - Leonard Cohen. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment